Tuesday, August 31, 2010

things sorted out... for now

It is now 6:40pm, and the first day of school is tomorrow. I kid you not - my teaching assignment was not finalized and given to me until 4:00pm. This resulted in me madly rushing to come up with things to fill up my first class tomorrow. I have officially been transferred over to the high school, and will be teaching 2 blocks of some obscure ESL course, and 1 block of IT 10. Ha ha, who thought that I, being completely un-computer-saavy, would end up teaching IT.

My new office is with the rest of the ESL department, and everyone here has left for the day already. However, there is much noise in the hallways as the students are hanging out in classrooms (goodness knows why; school starts tomorrow). I walked down the hall just now to the washrooms and boy, my heart is pounding now because I am actually a little terrified of these teenagers. The boys tower over me and the girls look older than me. Tonight will be another sleepless night.

Not only this, but the office is also in chaos. The principals and secretaries are experiencing super high stress now printing off final class lists (a lot of which are actually wrong), and the office is bombarded with students. It is insane over here. Tomorrow will be an interesting day.

3 comments:

  1. that sounds like a war zone, the office...

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck, hedy! i'm sure you'll do great - you'll figure things out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, first few months will seem crazy and you'll probably question why you are there in the first place. Try to stay positive and don't get too worked up on the politics at the school. Know that you have a life beyond work. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete