Wednesday, August 25, 2010

apartment found

First, let me apologize for the lack of pictures in this blog. The last few days since I arrived have been a craze of shopping trips, house-hunting trips, and staff meetings. I have not had the time to slow down, stop, and take pictures of the actual city and campus. I will spend some time tomorrow morning taking pictures of the school and hopefully upload them in my next post.

We found a place! My CITE-buddy and I have decided to share an apartment. Unfortunately, the prices of all the apartments have been jacked up this year, but we found a nice 3-bedroom place for a somewhat reasonable price. We signed on a 1-year lease, and the landlord was kind enough to let us pay only a portion of the usual deposit amount until payday hits (as we pretty much whipped out all our cash on hand and will have to be super frugal for the next 3 weeks). We should be moving in within next week and saying bye-bye to the school apartments for a while. (Speaking of the school apartments, it really was not fun when the school started blasting the Chinese and Canadian national anthems repeatedly all across campus this morning at 7am.)

I am very thankful we found a place we like, and hopefully we won't find too many bugs in the apartment during our stay (we already discovered a small cockroach that lives behind the TV). Ants are unavoidable here in Wuhan even on the 5th floor, but at least they're small ants, unlike the flying ones I have outside my house back in Vancouver. Now that I'm on the topic of bugs, I can say that there must be about a trillion crickets that live on campus. They are SO LOUD at night it is unbelievable. Flies and mosquitoes are a given; so are beetles and frogs. This must be because of the huge swampy ponds on campus. I can't believe I forgot to bring insect repellent with me from Vancouver, I will be having to buy myself a bug zapper very soon.

5 comments:

  1. ewwww...to cockroaches. Glad that you and Angel found an apartment! Good luck with teaching job #1 :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can fry the bugs and eat them on skewers! how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. get one of those fan thingy that swirl the paper thingy

    ReplyDelete
  4. cockroaches are my worst nightmare here in china >< i haven't found one at my place yet, but i've heard some horror stories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow sounds like quite the adventure. I'm sure you'll gain loads from this experience :) excited to hear more! good luck!

    ReplyDelete