Tuesday, September 21, 2010

a break for myself

This week is a 6-day work week. Students have to attend class and teachers have to work Monday to Saturday. Why? Because next week is National Holiday Week, and all of us get an entire week off. I will be heading to Hong Kong during this time... can't wait to see family and friends!

To drive my classes slowly and steadily into this week-long holiday, I've launched three of my four blocks into research assignments. This way, they don't have to listen to me talk, and I don't have to plan as much. This is a little treat for myself before coming back from holidays and having to run into a long, long haul of work from October to mid-January with no breaks. This I am dreading.

A thing that has been annoying me lately is the sudden disappearance of students for days on end. Most of the time, they are suspended for things like smoking or escaping from dorms. I don't have to deal with the suspensions, but it bugs me like crazy that the counsellors never notify the teachers of what's going on. It's pretty much up to me to solve cases of disappearing students. And then there are the sudden pull-outs of students from classes by counsellors. Who knows why the counsellors need certain students to sit in their office all block... why can't they ever let me know beforehand???

Despite this and being drowned by paperwork this week, I can't believe tomorrow's Wednesday already! Time flies in this school.

3 comments:

  1. Have fun in Hong Kong! I hope you got the airline tickets figured out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    If Angel has not died could you tell her to email Jon please? Thank you.

    Perhaps there's something more sinister happening at your school regarding the missing children. An underground labor camp and/or organ harvesting operation?
    I think you should team up with an unlikely partner and investigate.
    I would totally watch that show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hedy, i found your blog after going to your facebook page. I hope that everything will Smoothen out as you get into the groove of teaching. It will get better. It sounds like you have had to be very adaptable and flexible at your school. It must be frustrating at times. God will pull you through. Anyways hope we can meet up this week some time. Take care

    ReplyDelete